Steven J. Pugh is a shareholder of Richardson Plowden and practices in the Columbia office. He also serves as the Firm's Chief Financial Officer. His law practice includes civil litigation, including major class actions, the defense of electric and gas utility claims, the defense of product liability claims, toxic torts including asbestos, pharmaceutical and medical device litigation, and transportation law.
Mr. Pugh’s experience includes:
- Obtained summary judgment in an alleged wrongful death, prescription refill case.
- Trial counsel in a pharmaceutical case wherein the state was seeking penalties in excess of $2 billion.
- Lead counsel in the defense of a salmonella class action with more than 1,000 claimants, including several death claims.
- Successfully tried and subsequently argued the appeal in the South Carolina Supreme Court of a multi-million dollar commercial foreclosure case.
- Obtained a directed verdict in the defense of a wrongful death case filed by the parents of a sixteen-year old who allegedly became intoxicated at work.
- Directed the investigation of a multi-million dollar fabric mill fire on behalf of the manufacturer of an allegedly defective loom, which resulted in no claim ever being asserted against the manufacturer.
- Negotiated the favorable resolution of a wrongful death and severe personal injury action arising out of an apartment complex fire due to alleged incompatible wiring and receptacles.
- Obtained the outright dismissal of a significant personal injury suit arising from a tractor-trailer accident.
- Has represented several manufacturers in more than 1,000 asbestos cases in South Carolina and the MDL.
- Has represented numerous entities in hundreds of silica cases in South Carolina.